Research identifies major cyber security risk for businesses

Omaha, Ne (USA)

NTT Security, a specialist security company of the NTT Group, has released its 2017 Global Threat Intelligence Center (GTIC) Quarterly Threat Intelligence Report. In fact, this new cyber security report reveals that accidental insider threats put organisations at real risk and that 30% of all insider threats put an organisation at risk without being aware of the vulnerability.

The report is designed to serve as the primary focal point for contextualizing, enhancing and enriching threat intelligence-related information across the NTT Security global client base. The GTIC Quarterly Threat Intelligence Report aims to empower frontline Managed Security Services (MSS) SOC analysts, research analysts, network security engineers, professional security service consultants and incident response handlers to gather, share and apply threat-related information.

The Q3 GTIC Report provides details on the reseach conducted by NTT Security over the past three months and focuses on several different areas of research and analysis. One section of the report of particular signficance entitled “The Face of the Insider Threat” reveals that approximately 25% of insider threats are hostile with the remaining 75% due to accidental or negligent activity. Insider threats can put an organisation at risk without even knowing it. In fact, the GTIC indicates that 30% of all insider threats put an organisation at risk without being aware of the vulnerability.

“Whether it’s an accidental insider threat, where an employee sends sensitive documents to a competitor‘s email or a negligent insider threat, where an employee downloads unauthorised software and spreads a virus through the company, organisations must have a cyber security plan in place to minimize these risks,” said Steven Bullitt, Vice President Threat Intelligence & Incident Response, GTIC, NTT Security. “The GTIC Quarterly Threat Intelligence Report documents that in instances when organisations do not have a proactive cyber security plan in place, the consequences can be devastating. In fact, NTT Security has seen damages due to insider breaches reach more than $30 million USD. Even in organisations that have well-defined incident response plans, they often don’t provide adequate remediation provisions for insider breaches, leaving the organisation less prepared to react quickly.“

Some of the other key findings in the Q3 GTIC Quarterly Threat Intelligence Report include

• A notable increase in the number of security events during Q3 ’17 - up 24 percent from Q2 ‘17

• The finance industry had the most detections for malicious activity in Q3 ‘17 - representing 25% of all cybersecurity attacks

• Rounding out the top five targeted industries were: manufacturing at 21%, business services at 16%, health care at 13% and technology at 12%

• Phishing campaigns and malware infections both increased by more than 40% over Q2 ‘17

• Attacks from China moved up from the number three spot in Q2 ‘17 to number two in Q3 ‘17

• As an attack source, India also made a huge jump from outside the top 10 up to number three, most likely due to outside actors leveraging vulnerable and/or compromised infrastructure.


Product Suppliers
Back to top